Bus Transit Planner/Engineer
McMahon Associates, Inc.
Boston, MA United States
We are seeking a bus transit savvy transportation professional to complement our team of multimodal planners and engineers, committed to improving communities through transportation and community design. McMahon Associates is comprised of progressive transportation planners and engineers who are passionate about multimodal transportation including public transportation vehicles and riders; bicyclists; pedestrians of all ages and abilities; and vehicular safety. Our projects involve elements such as design of bus stops, transit priority lanes, and Complete Streets design. We lead projects supporting first/last mile connections to transit, Vision Zero, Transportation Demand Management (TDM), shared and micromobility, transit service planning, environmental sustainability and community planning. Our public sector clients include transit agencies, state departments of transportation (DOT), and municipalities. Our private sector clients include transportation management associations (TMAs), institutions and non-profit organizations.
We are seeking an urban-focused transportation plan-gineer to expand our unique bus infrastructure and transit planning practice. The ideal candidate will have experience in applying planning and engineering best practices to develop solutions that improve bus transit and the rider experience within a Complete Streets context.
The Bus Transit Planner/Engineer will work on a variety of transportation projects under direct supervision of an experienced professional and will assist project managers on all aspects of transportation planning projects, including research, field work, data analysis, preparing maps and graphics, drafting reports and documents, preparing proposals, developing solutions to complex problems, soliciting feedback from the client and public, and presenting recommendations. The position requires leadership skills, exceptional technical and interpersonal skills, and interaction with both private sector and public sector clients.
- Complete planning and engineering analyses, alternatives analysis, and designs with supervision
- Manage project tasks leveraging strong analytical and communication skills
- Organize and possibly conduct field work, including photographs, sketches, counts, and measurements
- Evaluate, interpret, select and adapt standard techniques, procedures and criteria to complete work on projects
- Assist in the preparation or modification of reports, specifications, construction schedules, environmental impact studies, permits, proposals and designs for projects
- Request, compile, and organize data from a variety of sources
- Assist in client contact and communication pertaining to specific projects as necessary
- Prepare materials and attend project related meetings outside of the office with clients, agencies, and the public
- Attend client meetings, presentations and public hearings
- Maintain organized project files
- Provide technical guidance to junior staff and aids in the delegation of tasks
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Passion for improving communities through the built environment and transportation
- Demonstrated interest in multimodal transportation engineering and planning, particularly for transit, bicycle and pedestrian facilities
- Strong work ethic and a desire to grow in the profession, dedication to teamwork, and commitment to clients
- Ability to identify problems, collect data, and develop creative solutions
- Knowledge of NACTO Transit Street Design Guide and AASHTO Guide for Geometric Design of Transit Facilities on Highways and Streets, as well as transit agency bus stop design guidelines (such as MBTA and RIPTA).
- Familiarity with integration of bus transit with other modes (auto, bicycle, pedestrians) on public streets
- Familiarity with bus priority measures
- Cooperative skills in working efficiently with a team across disciplines, across offices, and with clients
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, including preparation of reports, letters, and presentation material
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail
- Ability to work on multiple projects at the same time, both independently and also as an integral part of a team
- Advanced proficiency of the use of the standard Microsoft Office suite of programs (Word, Excel, Powerpoint), and other relevant technical programs.
- Strong quantitative analytical skills
- Ability to train and develop staff
The following knowledge, skills and abilities are desirable but not necessarily required.
- Knowledge of design standards and regulations applicable to transit and multimodal transportation:
- Federal and State ADA Standards and Guidelines
- NACTO Urban Bikeway Design Guide, and DOT bike facility design guidelines
- MassDOT policy and practices
- MBTA policy and practices
- NEPA planning process and related state environmental regulations and permitting processes
- Knowledge and interest in transportation funding programs
- Ability to use computer assisted engineering and design software and equipment to prepare engineering and design documents
- Experience with specialized software including:
- Adobe Creative Suite (SketchUp, Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign)
- Minimum of 5 years of progressive work experience in transportation planning and engineering. 7-10 years of experience preferred.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Civil Engineering with Transportation emphasis OR Master’s of Urban Planning from an APA accredited college or university
P.E. and/or AICP preferred
This is a full-time position. The typical work days and hours of work are Monday through Friday, 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM. Some night and weekend work may be required. ** This position is a regular, full-time position that is temporarily a remote position. The position is flexible to be based out of our Boston, MA, Taunton, MA, or Lincoln, RI office.**
*While this job posting is intended to be an accurate reflection of the job requirements, please note this job posting is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Management reserves the right to modify, add, or remove duties from particular jobs and to assign other duties as necessary at any time with or without notice