ENVIRONMENTAL & RESILIENCY COORDINATOR
Androscoggin Valley Council of Governments
Auburn, ME United States
The Androscoggin Valley Council of Governments (AVCOG) which serves communities located in Androscoggin, Franklin, and Oxford Counties is seeking an Environmental & Resiliency Coordinator.
This position is located in Auburn and provides a range of services in solid waste management, environmental and resiliency planning throughout the tri-county region.
Responsibilities include: In consultation with the Executive Director, the Environmental & Resiliency Coordinator oversees the agency’s solid waste management and environmental planning efforts. The individual will develop projects and implement agency programs both independently and as part of a team. Areas of work include solid waste management and environmental and resiliency planning. Various tasks associated with the position include:
Solid Waste Management
• Oversee the solid waste management program including solid waste technical assistance grant administration;
• Maintain current knowledge of issues and best practices in the field;
• Develop new and evolving programs, projects, initiatives or activities designed to expand the activities within the region;
• Coordinate training of solid waste operators and town officials on a broad range of issues including site visits as needed;
• Provide technical assistance to towns and solid waste associations with a broad range of solid waste issues;
• Oversees regional coordination of programs to collect and manage a variety of hazardous and difficult to handle solid wastes;
• Develops outreach materials to promote recycling, reuse, composting and other recovery programs.
Environmental & Resiliency Planning
• Develop and deploy outreach campaigns to vulnerable populations affected by climate disruptions. Identify and promote solutions to help the people most vulnerable to climate impacts;
• Review, summarize, and present information from comprehensive plans, watershed plans, climate actions, hazard mitigation plans, and transportation plans to a wide audience;
• Provides resilience planning assistance, grant writing, and grant administration services to municipal officials, by phone, in writing, and in person;
• Attends meetings of local, regional, and state groups and committees as needed;
• Prepares surveys and reports, collects data, develops case studies and makes presentations in workshops on community resilience;
• Draft and administers grant applications for other sustainability, renewable energy, and resiliency projects and programs.
• Develop grant proposals for solid waste management and other environmental programs;
• Act as a liaison between local, state and federal agencies;
• Develop outreach materials such as pamphlets, flyers, social media posts;
• Attend community meetings and public hearings as needed;
• Works as a team with planning staff to assist with comprehensive plans as needed;
• Participate in trainings, seminars and conferences related to solid waste management, environmental and resiliency topics to maintain knowledge of current regulations and best practices.
Minimum Required qualifications
• Bachelor's degree in environmental planning, natural resource planning, urban or regional planning, engineering or related field, and two years of experience in environmental and/or solid waste management or any equivalent combination of education and experience;
• Ability to communicate effectively in both oral and written form;
• Ability to manage concurrent tasks efficiently;
• Ability to manage one's own time and work in a team environment;
• Ability to participate, and lead, meetings – both virtual and in-person, including workday and evening meetings;
• Valid Maine driver’s license and a reliable motor vehicle;
• Detail oriented.
Additional desirable skills/qualifications
• Familiarity with GIS/ESRI products;
• Experience with federal grants management and program compliance.
AVCOG is an equal opportunity employer. We offer a competitive salary and excellent benefits to include medical insurance, health savings account with company contribution, health reimbursement account with deductible reimbursement; dental and vision insurance; life and voluntary disability insurance; medical and dependent care flexible spending; member of Maine Public Employees Retirement System; paid time off including vacation and sick time, 13 paid holidays.
Applicants should submit their resume, cover letter, minimum salary requirements, and three professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org. The position will remain open until filled.
Androscoggin Valley Council of Governments
125 Manley Road
Auburn, ME 04210