Planning Office Assistant
City of Dover
03820, NH United States
The Director of Planning is seeking a highly responsible individual for secretarial work, intakes and manage applications, meeting notices and answers routine inquiries. Also to perform routine and more difficult clerical work in answering phones, receiving the public in providing customer assistance, cashiering, data entry, and scanning, along with skilled use of Microsoft Word, Excel, and Access. This is a full-time, 40 hour per week position. $17.58 to $25.47 per hour. Position is open until filled.
DEPARTMENT SPECIFIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES (Except as specifically noted, the following functions are considered essential to this position. The listed examples may not include all duties found in this class):
1. Receives telephone calls and visitors to office. Screens for nature of business, answers general inquiries based upon knowledge of departmental operations and refers when necessary. Provides excellent professional customer service.
2. Type a variety of correspondence, memoranda, forms and reports from written or verbal medium. Type material in final form assuring spelling, grammar and punctuation are correct.
3. Inputs data to standard office and department forms; data entry of application materials, fees, notes in database; makes simple postings to accounts; compiles data/statistics for various reports.
4. Create certificates, permits, letters, and notices and files in filing system and electronically.
5. Scans a variety of documentation and perform upload to electronic filing system.
6. Compile documentation to prepare and assemble hard copy and electronic packets for Boards, Commissions, Committees, and staff. Checks for completion and presence of all materials and follows up accordingly.
7. Maintain department's administrative filing system; memoranda, application, minutes, and a variety of other materials.
8. Assists in the assessment and intake of different types of fees. Verifies calculations of invoices and confirms payments are made. Perform daily cash drawer closeout, accounting for payments made by different type of transactions and method of payment.
9. Maintain a high level of customer service via telephone and in person; correspond via email to residents, applicants, owners, businesses, staff, and Board members and handles mailings for Department.
10. Establish and maintain effective relations with City departments and employees, contractors, and the public.
11. Process written communications such as forms and letters; creates forms, statements, letters, receipts, vouchers, departmental reports, permits, and other material.
12. Must be organized and able to meet deadlines for numerous department projects.
13. Schedule appointments and meetings for appropriate staff members; arrange for meeting facilities and accommodations.
14. Performs other related duties as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY REQUIREMENTS: Considerable knowledge of modern office practices and procedures. Knowledge of operations particular to department. Considerable knowledge of business English, spelling, and arithmetic and vocabulary. Working knowledge of computer hardware and software. Ability to type accurately and rapidly. Ability to understand and follow moderately-complex oral and written instructions. Ability to make minor decisions in accordance with departmental policy. Ability to maintain administrative, fiscal and general records and to prepare reports and answer questions from records. Ability to draft letters and reports. Ability to multitask. Ability to communicate in oral and written form. Ability to maintain accurate records and files. Ability to maintain effective working relationships with department heads, employees, and the public and to deal with service problems courteously and tactfully.
EDUCATION/LICENSURE/CERTIFICATION REQUIREMENTS: High school diploma supplemented by office experience or general clerical work preferred or specialized training in secretarial skills and two years’ experience in secretarial work; OR any equivalent combination of education and experience which demonstrates possession of the required knowledge, skills and abilities. Valid motor vehicle operator license required.
Full time benefit offerings.