Conferences & Meetings
Region 1 Webinars Region One Webinars
COVID-19 Effects on Real Estate Demand
Tuesday, June 30 | 1:00 PM – 2:30 PM
Presented by APA New Jersey
Part of the Region 1 Webinar Series
PLEASE NOTE: DUE TO CAPACITY, THIS WEBINAR IS LIMITED TO APA REGION I MEMBERS ONLY. APA MEMBERSHIP ID IS REQUIRED AT REGISTRATION.
As the Metro New York economy begins to reactivate through phased reopening, uncertainty remains as to the lasting effects on real estate demand. At the root of this question is whether initial reports of households relocating to the suburbs are just a short-term blip or part of a continuing trend. Additional questions include the potential for rebound in the homeownership rate (and corresponding decrease in rentership), financial feasibility and optimal program mixes for apartment projects already in the development pipeline, and the long term viability of retail and office uses.
This is the event you cannot afford to miss! Get your laptop and come into Jeffrey Otteau’s living room to hear his forecast for the near- and long-term impacts of the COVID-19 Pandemic on real estate demand. Mr. Otteau is a 40-year valuation expert who has lectured across North America and is followed more than 10,000 real estate professionals, developers and bankers who rely on his forecasts to provide forward guidance on emerging real estate trends. He has been recognized as one of the most influential people in the real estate industry with television appearances on CNBC, Bloomberg, NBC News and Fox 5 News and frequently quoted in the New York Times and Wall Street Journal. When Jeffrey Otteau talks, it’s worth listening to what he has to say. Here’s a sampling of topics to be covered in this webinar:
- State of the Economy: What began with accelerating economic growth and rising consumer enthusiasm has quickly shifted to sheer panic as unemployment is already higher than during the Great Depression. Learn about the real-time effects on the economy to this point, and what it tells us about the future.
- Real Estate Market Impacts: Although we are in uncharted waters, it’s clear that the short-term impact on real estate markets has been crippling. This fast-paced roundup will examine what’s happening at the sector level for apartments, commercial real estate and home sales as the economic shutdown choked off market demand and begins to recover.
- Consequences for Construction Spending: While the shutdown has already caused a slowdown for ongoing projects, and new construction starts, the long-term effects are even more concerning. Will activity bounce back quickly, or will there be permanent consequences that carry forward to future years as developers and governments deal with financial constraints? Is an infrastructure spending bill on the horizon, or will it remain stalled? Find out the forecast for spending in this essential economic sector.
- Recovery Timeline: How long will it take to find our way back? While declines in asset values and construction spending have already occurred, the more difficult questions are for ‘How Long’ and by ‘How Much”. And while much uncertainty remains, we’ll tell you about our projections for what happens next in the economy, real estate markets and construction sector so you can adjust your planning models during this challenging time.
NNECAPA Annual Conference 2019
The 2019 Annual Conference was held at the Mount Washington Resort in Bretton Woods, New Hampshire on November 14-15. For sessions and other information, click below.
Prior Annual Conferences
Materials from the following prior conferences are available for download.
- 2018 | Point Lookout, Northport, Maine | Defining Resiliency for Northern New England
- 2017 | Manchester, Vermont | What's Popping Up in Planning
- 2016 | Portsmouth, NH | Planning and the Arts... Community Drama!