VPA advocates for sound planning and public policy by:
- Engaging in limited lobbying as pursuant to our
- Tracking and reporting on state and federal planning-related legislation to our membership;
- Developing occasional policy and position papers on particular topics;
- Providing information and testimony before legislative committees and administrative boards upon request; and
- Serving on committees charged with formulating state planning policy.
VPA is represented in these efforts by volunteers on our Legislative Committee. Our Legislative Liaison position is currently vacant, in favor of our committee-driven legislative tracking, education, and action program.
Legislative Committee Responsibilities
- Chairperson – Regina Mahony
- Weekly legislative updates – Faith Ingulsrud
- Review of newly introduced bills – Sharon Murray (Senate) and Alex Weinhagen (House)
- Interface/Management of our Legislative Intern – Alex Weinhagen, Sharon Murray, Faith Ingulsrud
- Key Legislature committee point people:
- House General, Housing, and Military Affairs - Steve Lotspeich
- House Natural Resources, Fish and Wildlife - Charlie Baker
- Senate Economic Development and Housing - Regina Mahony
- Senate Natural Resources and Energy - Sharon Murray
- Climate Caucus and Council – Peg Elmer Hough
Legislative Committee Meetings
Biweekly Meetings on Mondays at 2:00 PM - beginning January 3rd, 2022
Members can become directly involved in VPA's legislative efforts by
serving on our Legislative Committee, drafting position papers,
responding to requests for information and feedback, appearing before
committees and boards, and staying in touch with your local
representatives on planning-related issues.
Members can track current legislation and legislative activities, and contact local representatives, through the Vermont Legislature website.
For more information contact Regina Mahony, Chair of Legislative Committee