Maine Legislative and Policy Committee Wrap Up from 130th Legislature
The 130th Legislative Session was a busy one! The MAP Legislative and Policy Committee (LPC) provided testimony on bills that addressed many topics including: accessory dwelling units, short term rentals, rail corridors, sea level rise, housing, and the revival of the State Planning Office.
The LPC is Chaired by Jarod Farn-Guillette who also serves as the NNECAPA Maine Legislative Liaison. Committee members and contributors to testimony during the 130th Legislative Session include: Damon Yakovleff, AICP; Maureen O’Meara, AICP; Michael Foster; Lee Jay Feldman; Justin Barker, AICP, LEED GA, CNU-A; Jared Woolston, AICP; Tex Haeuser, AICP; Matt Nazar, AICP; and Christian Roadman, AICP.
The LPC provided testimony on the following LDs:
- LD 970, “AN ACT TO ENCOURAGE POLICIES REGARDING ACCESSORY DWELLING UNITS UNDER LOCAL COMPREHENSIVE PLANS AND ZONING REQUIREMENTS” (Neither for or against) Read full testimony.
- LD 209, “AN ACT TO PROHIBIT MUNICIPALITIES FROM PROHIBITING SHORT TERM RENTALS” (Opposition) Read full testimony.
- LD 1367, “AN ACT TO PRESERVE AND PROTECT THE STATE’S RAIL CORRIDORS” (Opposition) Read full testimony.
- LD 1391, “AN ACT TO ENSURE CONSISTENCY OF LANGUAGE IN MUNICIPAL DOCUMENTS WITH THE LANGUAGE IN COMPREHENSIVE PLANS” (Neither for or against) Read full testimony.
- LD 563, “AN ACT TO HELP MUNICIPALITIES PREPARE FOR SEA LEVEL RISE” (Support) Read full testimony.
- LD 609, “RESOLVE, TO ESTABLISH A COMMISSION TO INCREASE HOUSING OPPORTUNITIES IN MAINE BY STUDYING ZONING AND LAND USE RESTRICTIONS” Read full testimony, provided by Tex Haeuser.
- LD 446, “AN ACT TO REESTABLISH THE STATE PLANNING OFFICE” Read testimony from Amanda Bunker, MAP President.
Read more about LD 446 in the Spring 2021 President's Letter by Amanda Bunker.
Jarod is a Planner with the Hancock County Planning Commission. He serves on the MAP board, chairs the LPC Committee and functions as the NNECAPA Maine Legislative Liaison.